Sunday 5 May 2013

Another Clock!

Back before Christmas, I got my paws on a couple of the Tando Creative Advent Calendars.  I knew I didn't want to do an Advent Calendar - not really my thing, and finally I made my mind up.  A clock!!  I had a clock mechanism, so ALL I need to do was put a hole in the middle, and then it was up for decorating.









I say ALL.  Hmmm.  I spent about an hour looking at it, turning it round, laying stamps on it, and generally prevaricating, sorry, PLANNING it all out.  I decided on neutral colours, using a technique that Kay taught us on the IndigoBlu retreat earlier in the year, sort of.  There, we put all the pieces on, and then washed over with gesso (gee-so-good) to tie it all in together.  With this, I painted in a neutral ish paint, then stamped, then painted over in a REALLY neutral colour, then sprayed with mica sprays.  Oh, you should see this in sunlight!!  Wow, talk about POP!!


I have added palette knife-fuls of decorating paste in places, and used one of the spare circles from the original tando pack to lift the hands out from the base.  Because this was added AFTER I sprayed the mica, I made it look completely different, rather than attempt to try and tie it in.  More mica!  Up close it looks like abalone.  The sealant is a pearl pen.   Also, if you look closely, you'll see part of a Clarity stamp verse from WH Davies  (What is this life, if full of care, we have no time to stand and stare...) which sort of fits with a clock, in my opinion!

The butterfly on the left side of the clock is a Prima Canvas resist butterfly, glued onto Clearly For Art, so I could mould the wings up, to give it some idea of motion.  It was sprayed with Mica sprays to activate the resist, but the mica seems to have sunk in, leaving the ink only as colouriser.

Last thing is to find a nice spot of wall that gets lots of sunlight (and work out what to do with all the circles and christmas bits I have left over)!





Resources
Substrate - Tando Creative Advent Calendar

Paints and Inks
Neopaque White
Winsor and Newton Galeria - Naples Yellow
Archival - Olive, Venetian Orange, Monarch Orange, Cobalt
Mica Sprays - selected from Cosmic Shimmers, Perfect Pearls, Crafty Notions, That Special Touch
Adirondack alcohol ink - Gold Mixative, Willow

Stamps
Stampers Anonymous - Bitty Grunge CMS089
Inkadinkado - Butterfly wing, Water Lily
Sheena - Falling Feathers
Elusive Images - Flowers and butterflies
ClarityStamp - What is this life
IndigoBlu - Roman Numerals

Bling and Glitz and other stuff
Petaloo - flowers
Prima Marketing - Resist butterfly
DecoArt - Decorating paste
Studio 490 - white Clearly for Art
Viva Decor - Pearl Pen (cream)
book pages
bits from stash

No comments:

Post a Comment