Sunday 8 September 2013

Z is for...Craft Barn Challenge

Hi all!  This fortnight's letter is Z.  Z!?!  I started flicking though the trusty Collins, and came across Zoomorphism!  Great word.  Deities in the form of animals.  Egyptian gods and goddesses came to mind, but the stamps I have that are hieroglyphs didn't have what I was looking for...


So!  PaperArtsy!  Steampunk birds, that'll do it!

I started by stamping the birds in resist ink, and heat embossing them in detail white embossing powder.  The background is distress inks, and Distress ink markers to colour in the bodies, pulled out with a water brush.

When I was happy it was dry, I rubbed a piece of kitchen roll lightly on the birds, to  buff up the white to stand out as they should.

I added a few gemstones (Zirconia, naturally!) to the crowns to finish it off. 












(That was when I realised I hadn't stuck them on!  Unmatching photos!!)





Resources

Inks
Distress Inks: Black Soot, Peacock Feathers, Tumbled Glass, Spiced Marmalade
Distress Markers: Victorian Velvet, Tattered Rose, Broken China
Clear Resist ink

Stamps
PaperArtsy: Clockwork Birds HP1107EZ

Bling and other stuff
Stampin' Up: Sticky rhinestones
Stampendous: Detail white embossing powder

8 comments:

  1. Fabulous word and pages great stamp choice

    MaggieH

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool, a fantastic take on the "Z".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your steampunk bird deities. BJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely zoomorphisms. What a great idea to use the birds instead of hieroglyphs. Classic to mention the bling that wasn't on in the photo. I seem to do that sort of thing regularly.lol. You used beautiful colours too - very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant choice of word and fabulous depiction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever idea - love your art this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interpretation of a not so easy word
    Thanks for playing
    Izzy

    ReplyDelete