Tuesday 10 September 2013

We are Family - Tando Creative

Well, it's week two of my month as Guest Designer for Tando Creative!  This challenge got me trying to recall origami, that my dad taught me!  I saw the Hexagonal Laminate and Board pack, and knew I wanted to use it, but not as a mini book.  Most people would use photos of their family, but a) my family doesn't do photos, and b) they aren't very photogenic (!), and c) would I want to carry around a bunch of photos of those reprobates anyway!  However, I do like a drink (or two), so...


Starting with the board pack.  I wanted to create a hinged cover, so painting it wouldn't work.  I drew out a pattern in rough paper to check it would work, then when I was happy, I used the pattern to cut out some fancy paper for the outside cover. I glued the board hexagons inside, and waited for the glue to dry.

When it was dry, I swooshed a little acrylic paint in the centre of the outside back and front, so I would be able to create a halo effect.  I supplemented this with some nice dark ink around the edges.

This time I remembered to use my anti-static bag!  I stamped and heat embossed the front.  I used my crop-o-dile to attach the fasteners and trap the ribbons, so I would be able to tie it shut.  I taped over the back rough edges of the eyelet, and then glued down the inside covers - slightly smaller than the boards, and used red line tape to create a small gusset - just enough give to take some inserts.  I added the Wicked Witch on the inside...

So the cold laminating pouches.  If not photos going inside, then what?  I used some more paper from the set which had conveniently sized playing cards!  Perfect!  But boring...  so I cut rectangles from double side glue sheets, and covered one side in gilding flakes.  I placed the 'playing card' on the other side, and dived into the gilding flakes again, so that both sides were completely covered.  This  became my insert for the laminating pouch.  I used a brayer to make sure of no air bubbles.  Did this for each of the pouches, using a different image, which do sort of represent my family - ish.  Not sure how my nephews will take being likened to the Flying Monkeys!!





















I gilded one more 'playing card' for the back cover, and hey presto, a holder for 6 matching coasters, themed for The Wizard of Oz!











Hope you like!

Resources

Substrate:  Tando Creative Board/Laminate Mini Book
Graphic 45: The Magic of Oz papers, 6x6 and 12x12

Paint and Ink
Paper Artsy: Nougat
Distress Ink: Evergreen Bough
Versafine: Satin Red

Stamps
Hampton Art (Graphic 45): The Magic of Oz (2) IC0121

Bling and other stuff
WRMK: Designer Eyelets and snaps: Family
Stix2 - Magic Sheets
IndigoBlu Mega flake: Gin and Tonic, Lancashire Rose, Royal Peacock
Crafty Notions gilding flakes: Copper Thunder
Gold ribbon from stash
Stampendous embossing powder: Detail clear
Funstamps: Holographic embossing powder

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ruth, Thank you for this beautiful project for Tando ! I love your association of the haxagons with these lovely Graphic45 papers, and your use of gilding flakes frames to highlight each central image !! I also wanted to inform you that your pictures don't appear on Tando's blog...it's a pity, can you check your post ? Wishes, Coco x

    ReplyDelete