Saturday 20 July 2013

Y is for... Craft Barn Challenge

Well!  This week's Craft Barn Challenge is Y.  I think I have the best dictionary in the world!  Mum's trusty Collins Concise came up with Y is for Yggdrasil and Yarn.  I had forgotten my Norse myths and legends, and then this!  Which meant Yarn was going to make me think of all the fairy tales my Dad used to tell me when I was a kid.

I opted for Journalling on this piece - I'm not really comfortable with journalling, that is, WRITING, as I like stamping really, but hey ho, that's what this challenge is all about.



So, usual size and base cards, to match the rest of my book.  This time though I created the flap, so I would have more space to write inside, and keep the tree on the outside.

The tree is stamped on a brayered base.  The tree and the leaves are Lavinia stamps.  I touched the tree bark up with some gold watercolour paint - that's just shimmery yellow, isn't it?!

On the inside, I used a lovely stencil which is letters (you need letters to make words, so you can spin a yarn...).  Having stencilled through with a pale yellow ink, I rotated the stencil 90 degrees, and sprayed dylusions through it - and some gold shimmer of course!

Then I used a perspex journalling thingy to create my wavy lines.  My first fairy tale is The Miller's Daughter who could spin pure straw into gold.  Below is The Tinderbox (the dog with eyes as big as saucers), and Red Riding Hood (what big eyes you have).

On the inner flap, we have Goldilocks (Who's been sleeping in my bed?), and 'Beware the men who are hairy on the inside' is from The Company Of Wolves - great film, that line has always stuck with me!.

All the writing was done with Sharpies - don't they smell!?

As usual, I created a tag to hold the dictionary definitions, and used some real yarn (I must get round to finishing that cardy off!!) instead of ribbon.

Hope you like!

Resources

Paint and Ink
Versafine:Spanish Moss, Majestic Blue, Imperial Purple
Distress: Gathered Twigs
Adirondack: Denim, Sunshine Yellow, Caramel, Oregano
Stampin' Up: So Saffron
Dylusions: Pure Sunshine
Cosmic Shimmer Watercolour: Rich Gold

Stamps
Lavinia: Tree stump, Vine leaves

Bling and other stuff
ArtistCellar 6x6 Stencil: Romans
Wool from stash
Sharpies - various colours
Wooden lette from shash

3 comments:

  1. Love your tree - I am a big fan of trees!!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. Your tree is fab and the whole idea you used for yarns and story telling is inspired. I like that hairy men quote - I don't know this movie but its funny how some words just resonate. You have created another great page for your book - it must be looking awesome by now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful pages. I especially love the look of the leaves.

    ReplyDelete