Sunday 7 July 2013

Oh I do like to be beside the seaside...ClarityStamp Challenge

Hi all!  Feeling righteous, ironing done, kitchen habitable, and first piece of the day done!

The challenge this month from ClarityStamp is the seaside.  Well, elsewhere on this blog, I have already told of my love for Cornwall.  I decided that I'd stick with that, as stamp no 54 from the Clarity Club reminded me of St Michael's Mount - in the bay off Marazion...oh, just so beautiful.  This is sort of the view I had many year's ago when I stayed at the caravan site at Long Rock some ahem, 28 years ago...only without the lovers in the boat!
 

Anyway, above is the finished postcard.  I wanted to make it like a victorian vignette, and I did a drawing first:


I started with a watercolour card post card (it does actually have the postcard bit stamped on the back).  I tore a hole in some copy paper, and cut a circle and a mask of the castle from a post it.

I stamped St Michael's Mount in black archival, and did the sea and sky with distress inks.  I removed the  circle and then used a little adirondack in the sun.  Then I removed the mask from  the castle, and coloured that in with various Pro Markers, to get the feeling of a nice warm sandstone.  Yes, I do know that it's a grey granite-y colour in real life, but let's not let real life get in the way of a good picture!

Then comes the lovers. This stamp has a fishing rod sticking out of the end of the boat, but I didn't ink that bit up.  Then I turned it round to extend the ripples down to the edge of the postcard, and extended the sea colours down, too.


I stamped the sentiment in one corner, and used the lower case scrabble letters to add penzance - that will be the first time I have used the z!!

Hope you like!

Resources

Substrate
Windsor and Newton: Water Colour postcard

Ink and Paint
Archival Ink: Jet black, Venetian Orange
Distress Ink: Salty Ocean, Shaded Lilac, Tumbled Glass, Broken China
Adirondack: Sunshine Yellow
Promarkers: Aaargh, put them away before I noted down what I used - various!

Stamps
ClarityStamp:  Castle no 54, Fishing lovers, Sentiment, Alphabet lower case

Bling and glitz
erm...none!!

3 comments:

  1. WOW Yes St Michael's Mount what a fab idea...good luck in the Clarity Challenge. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea! Good luck in the challenge x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see the step by step details on how you've created this, it's lovely.
    Thank you for entering and good luck x

    ReplyDelete